HOW IT WORKS
Every student has unique learning needs, therefore I do not believe in a "one size fits all" model. I approach each student and each session with a personalized plan that best meets their specific learning needs and supports their academic goals. The process is broken down into three steps, as outlined below.
STEP 1: CONSULTATION
Academic success is a team effort, and it is important for everyone to be on the same page. Before I begin working with a student, I will meet for a consultation with the student and his or her parent(s) to discuss:
- Academic strengths and areas of concern
- Learning preferences
- Time management and organization
- Additional concerns or obstacles that may be preventing the student form reaching his or her academic goals
After this consultation I will build an Individualized Academic Plan which will outline the length and frequency of our sessions, time management and organizational systems to implement, and additional targeted strategies we will utilize in our sessions.
STEP 2: SESSIONS
Once we have our Individualized Academic Plan in place, we are ready to get started! The length and frequency of sessions will vary student to student, but we will cover the following items in each session:
- Check binders, notebooks, folders, etc. to ensure all class information is organized and easily accessible
- Review upcoming assignments, exams, quizzes, etc. for each class and add items to personalized Weekly Planner
- Prioritize and build an Action Plan to complete assignments and prepare for exam
- Introduce and/or reinforce targeted strategies in the following areas:
- Test preparation
- Problem solving
- Critical thinking
At the end of our session we will review our Action Plan to make sure expectations are understood by all.
STEP 3: FOLLOW-UP AND COMMUNICATION
Within 24-hours of each session, parents will receive a detailed session report which will include the following:
- Summary of items covered in our session including specific information for each class
- Copy of Weekly Planner and Action Plan
- Follow-up needed between student and parents before our next session
I am also available via phone and email for students and/or parents between sessions.